Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Our Spring Dinner Menu

I intend to update this as I perfect our menu, but I'm posting what I have right now.

I found an inspiring blog on Seasonal Rotation Menu Planning, and decided to implement it, and it is working great!  I have tried a 90 days rotating menu plan, and I never stuck to it because we were eating the same foods in the summer as we were in the winter and the summer foods didn't sound good in the winter (or ingredients weren't available), and vica versa.  So this idea of having a four week seasonal rotating menu made sense to me.

I have these in a generic calendar of four weeks of meals that are in season (so I have a Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter menu and each menu is for only four weeks) and the idea is to apply it for 12 consecutive weeks.  However, I found that at the end of the Winter menu rotation, there had been some changes to our schedules or meals planned lasted for two meals, and I had quite a bit left in my freezer.  I cleaned out my freezer and had a no-buy menu planned that turned into almost four weeks, so we'll have this Spring menu in an eight week rotation.  I'll plan on a no-buy menu to clean out the freezer and cupboards again before beginning the Summer menu.

Also, organic vegetables aren't always available when I want them, so I listed main dishes, but not side dishes.  I buy what's available and then work it into the menu.  Some organic vegetables I can buy frozen at Costco (broccoli, green beans, peas, and occasionally asparagus) or fresh (spinach, kale, lettuce), and those I plan into the menu prior to shopping, otherwise I plan them in when I get back.  I make a notation on my shopping list of how many days I need vegetable sides for so I don't over buy or under buy when shopping.  I have a separate posts for our favorite side dishes and vegetables.

Week 1:  
MON: GB (Ground Beef) Southwest Burgers
TUE: Hawaiian Grilled Chicken, Broccoli
WED: GB Spaghetti, Green Salad
THU: Seasoned Chicken
FRI: Supreme Pizza, Green Salad
SAT: SC (Slow Cook) Asian Glazed Chicken
SUN: Chef Salad

Week 2:
MON: Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps
TUE: Spring Rolls, Soy Sauce Green Beans
WED: GB Onion Mushroom Burgers
THU: Chicken Fajitas, Green Salad
FRI: GB Hawaiian Burgers
SAT: Grilled Citrus Chicken
SUN: Roasted Garlic Sausage, Potato Salad, Green Salad

Week 3:
MON: GB Tacos, Refried lentils, Green Salad, Peas
TUE: Buffalo Wings, Broccoli
WED: GB Burriot Bowl
THU: C. (Canned) Chicken Salad Wraps
FRI: Sausage Pizza, Green Salad
SAT: SC BBQ Chicken, Brown Rice
SUN: Fajita Grilled Steak, Green Salad

Week 4:
MON: GB Cajun Burgers
TUE: C. Chicken Tacos, Green Salad
WED: Chicken Glazed Stir-Fry, Brown Rice, Soy Sauce Green Beans
THU: Honey-Glazed Drumsticks
FRI: Balsamic Burgers
SAT: Zesty Roasted Red Pepper Chicken
SUN: SC Shredded Beef Tacos
             

No comments:

Post a Comment